It was a little bit of a mad weekend at RevFit HQ. We’d 18 lifter compete on the Irish Powerlifting Federation’s Leinster Open over the course of Saturday and Sunday.
As quickly as I’m completed this publish, I’ll be placing collectively a workforce meet report, however since we’d SO many lifters, that’s gonna take some time.
2 or 3 weeks again, my participation was unsure. I posted the next message within the IrishPF dialogue group;
// DEALING WITH SICKNESS AND SET BACK
This is one I’d love to listen to extra from the upper rating lifters on…
Call this week 23 of prep.
For the primary 20 weeks I had a dream of a time. Trained laborious. Ate effectively. Recovered. Smashed PRs.
Over xmas I used to be away and needed to condense some training.
Now this week I’ve been worn out since Sunday with sickness. Did a really temporary training session that went very badly as we speak (82% squat doubles).
I’ve executed 2 full periods and a half session within the final 14 days.
Effectively, I’ll most likely get 1 or MAYBE 2 weeks of training executed throughout my peak for the jan comp.
As it stands, I’m very unwell, damaged and really feel like there’s no level competing since;
- i’m absolutely recovered and have most likely hit no matter peak I’m gonna hit in consequence
- pushing now will most likely make me sick once more which i can scarely afford working my very own biz
- it doesn’t make sense to do a comp that’s not a real reflection of the previous few weeks and months of training
I 100% realise and settle for training has not been “wasted”, I’ve hit quite a few all time PRs throughout the cycle and felt superb for it. But now I really feel like I’ve simply over shot.
How do you guys handle emotions like and the way lengthy does it usually take to get well from sickness?
WHAT I DID
I acquired some nice solutions from the lads who replied on the publish (see… even I nonetheless ask for assist!) and adjusted a couple of issues accordingly;
– I scrapped the rest of the height and made the decision that no matter occurs, occurs. I’ll carry what I can on the day
– I made a decision to enter the Ulster Open as effectively since I’d have 7 full weeks of peak prep for it
– Based off coming into Ulster, I knew Leinster could be an opportunity to safe my spot on the nationwide champs (prime 7 or so totals qualify) and hit a PR whole and good bench
– Having the arrogance of a PR comp in a sub commonplace situation at Leinster, I resolved to not miss any lifts, hold a bit in reserve on squat and deadlift, and plan to go HAM at Ulster
– If I am going to Ulster and have a ‘mare while missing big PR attempts, it doesn’t matter an excessive amount of since nothing’s on the road.
With all that in thoughts, hright here’s how my day went.
MY DAY IN MORE DETAIL
Overall, I used to be very pleased with my lifting.
The smartest thing to do is simply present a vid. So right here it’s – remaining makes an attempt solely. Finished up with a 240kg squat, 160kg bench and 270kg deadlift at 99.4kg.
The squat third try appears to be like like an opener as a result of I made a balls of my second try. I acquired all off stability which meant I wanted to go barely extra conservative relatively than take the 245 I used to be planning on.
It’s GREAT to lastly have the 160kg comp bench monkey off my again. I missed it as soon as in comp, and it was all the time a comparatively huge quantity for me mentally. Now it’s simply one other try that ought to be comparatively assured any day of the week.
I solely took 2 deadlifts to protect restoration and construct in the direction of the Ulster open as the top of Feb. My present health club PR is 280 – all going to plan I ought to transcend that on February 26th.
As you’ll have seen, the 270 was snug however I used to be beginning to get tunnel imaginative and prescient throughout reps by that stage and whereas I might have gotten the 280 it could have been a canine struggle and left me wrecked all week, which isn’t supreme with one other comp on the horizon.
The whole was sufficient to win the 105s and have the best lifts of the day throughout all disciplines and weight courses on the Saturday, solely 1 lifter on Sunday totalled extra and scored a better wilks total.
There’s loads of wonderful issues to say about my revfit workforce, however that’s a way more exhaustive publish. This one is selfishly all about me.
As all the time – main gratz and appreciation to spotters, refs, the desk and “setter uppers” (and my digicam crew!). The IrishPF, as soon as once more, outdid itself.