A younger boy in Wales was severely burned Saturday when he stepped on the remains of a beach bonfire that was buried beneath sand, his mom wrote on-line.
Laura Ashford mentioned she took her son, two-year-old Harri, to Caswell Bay beach in Swansea “to enjoy the sea, sand and sunshine.”
Harri, in line with Ashford’s Facebook publish, was enjoying with the sand for roughly an hour, when he “suddenly started screaming.”
The little one “had stepped on the remainder of a bbq/bonfire which had been buried in the sand and covered with stones,” which Ashford mentioned resulted in “serious burns to his right foot and some additional blisters on his left.”
Ashford wrote that Harri “was incredibly brave” as medical doctors handled his burns, and mentioned it seemingly would take 4 to 6 weeks for him to get better.
Ashford mentioned she had a message for whoever did not discard the heated coals correctly.
“I have no words to express how lazy and stupid your decision was and the consequences this has now had for Harri – I hope you are ashamed,” the mom wrote on-line.
Beachgoers are urged to correctly douse any bonfire or barbeque-related fires or coals earlier than leaving the beach. The U.S. National Park Service advises to put out the hearth “completely with water. Douse the fire with water, stir the coals, douse with water again.”
People ought to repeat this course of till the coals are not scorching, to the purpose that they “should be cold enough to handle with your bare hands.”
Additionally, beachgoers shouldn’t bury coals in the sand “as it will only insulate any residual heat and be an unseen danger to wildlife and barefoot visitors.”