MICHIGAN — Two cases of rare swine flu have been linked to attendance on the Fowlerville Family Fair in late July.
State health officers introduced the discovering Friday, Aug. 10 and stated that they proceed to examine different people who turned unwell after attending the truthful.
The Fowlerville truthful was July 23-28 and a number of other pigs exhibited on the truthful examined constructive on July 27 for swine influenza.
About every week later, on Aug. 3, the state Health and Human Services Department reported that two people had come down with influenza A and analysts had been testing to see if the strains within the pigs and people had been the identical.
Friday, health leaders confirmed the H1N2 influenza pressure was the variant discovered within the unwell people and stated the pressure is comparable to viruses at present circulating in swine.
The Michigan cases — both people are recovering — are amongst solely 4 discovered throughout the nation to date in 2018. The different two are in California.
Since 2005, when health officers started a nationwide database of influenza A cases, solely 17 cases of the H1N2 pressure have been reported to the Centers for Disease Control.
There has been no recognized human-to-human transmission of the flu in any of the 2018 cases.
The solely means to get swine flu is by direct contact with an unwell pig, not by eating correctly ready pork or by dealing with pork merchandise, health leaders say.
The signs of swine flue are comparable to seasonal flue and should contain a fever, cough, runny nostril and typically and typically physique aches, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
While there isn’t a vaccine for swine flu, sure anti-viral medication resembling Tamiflu and Relenza can deal with it.
According to the DHHS suggestions, the easiest way to forestall swine flu and different diseases the next:
- Refrain from eating or ingesting in livestock barns or present rings.
- Do not take toys, pacifiers, cups, baby bottles, strollers or comparable objects into pig areas.
- Anyone who’s at excessive danger of severe flu problems and is planning to attend a good ought to keep away from pigs and swine barns.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nostril and mouth. Germs unfold this manner.
- Avoid contact with pigs you probably have flu-like signs.
- If you’re sick, keep dwelling from work or college till your sickness is over.
- Avoid shut contact with sick people.
- Cover your nostril and mouth with a tissue once you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue within the trash after you utilize it and wash your fingers.
- Wash your fingers typically with cleaning soap and water. If cleaning soap and water usually are not accessible, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizing agent.